Looking forward to planning a stress-free and exulted summer during holidays? If yes then take out some time and go through this blog.
As we all know summer is the hottest than the rest of the seasons. No one likes to go out in the scorching sun, but that does not mean one cannot do any mind-boggling activities during the summer holiday as it is also a time when we can spend some quality time with our family and friends. Likewise, there are some places to visit in India where we can try some interesting diversion. Not only this, we all can have a good time that too within a limited budget.
India is a country that never fails to amaze. We have a bunch of wonderful tourist spots, but when it comes to selecting a destination we all get confused. Here is the list of top 10 places to visit in India during the summer holidays.
Kodaikanal is an attractive hill station that is located in the state of Tamil Nadu which is also known as the ‘Princess of Hill Stations’. The town of Kodaikanal sits almost at an altitude of 7,000 ft (2,133 meters) on the southern tip of upper Palani hills.
– The distance between Madurai airport and Kodai is approximately 129 km
– The distance between Madurai railway junction and Kodai is approximately 115 km
– The peak season at Kodai is from the month of April to June and temperatures remain at about 12° C to 20° C during summers
For trekking lovers, the trek to canopy hills can be really adventurous that can be a lifetime experience for many people. Other sightseeing places include Kodaikanal Lake, Pillar Rocks Viewpoint, Guna Caves, and Berijam Lake.
Rishikesh is a city and a tehsil in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The place is located in the ascent of the Himalayas in northern India. It is also known as the ‘Gateway to the Garhwal Himalayas’ and ‘Yoga capital of the world’.
Travelers who love adventures will find some fascinating activities like River Rafting, Bungee jumping, Flying fox, Giant swing, waterfall rappelling, outdoor mountain biking, jungle safari and much more.
– The distance between Jolly Grant Airport at Dehradun and the main city of Rishikesh is about 30 km
– The nearest railway station is at Haridwar and the distance to Rishikesh is approximately 22 km
– The temperatures in Rishikesh during summers remain at around 18° C to 35° C
There are some other sightseeing places in Rishikesh which include Rajaji National Park, Lakshman Jhula, and Neelkanth Mahadev Temple.
Gokarna is a small town on the western coast of India located in Karnataka. Gokarna captivates a mass number of people by its beautiful and peaceful surrounding and it’s a popular pilgrimage destination for Hindus because of sacred sites like Mahabaleshwar Temple. The following are the five popular beaches in Gokarna:
1. Gokarna Beach
2. Kudle Beach
3. Om beach
4. Half moon beach
5. Paradise beach
If you are looking for a relaxing and enjoyable beach trip in this summer then Gokarna will be a great option.
– The nearest airport is the Dabolim Airport and the distance from the airport to Gokarna is approximately 155 km
– The distance between the nearest railway station (Ankola) and Gokarna main city is approximately 20 km
– The peak season at Gokarna is during April to June and the temperature remains at about 24° C to 33° C
Rinchenpong is a town located in western Sikkim, which sits at an altitude of 5,576 ft (1,700 m). The place is recognized for the Rigsum Monastery and other trekking routes. Richenpong is close to the Mt. Kanchenjunga and visitors will have a clear view of the entire mountain range along with surrounding mountains such as the Mt. Narsing etc.
– Distance from Darjeeling to Richenpong is close to 58 km
– Travelers who wish to take flight will have to arrive at Bagdogra airport from where the distance to Rinchenpong is approximately 130 km
There are many tourist spots near Rinchenpong like Sirijunga Temple, Chayatal Lake, Hee water garden, Singshore Bridge, Uttare village, Tenzing Hillary Park, Tato Pani, Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, and much more.
Kohima is the hilly capital city of Nagaland with a resident population close to 99,000. Kohima was originally known as Kewhira and is the land of Angami Naga Tribe. The city is located in the foothills of Japfu range and has an average elevation of 1,261 meters (4,137 ft).
– The distance between Dimapur airport and Kohima is approximately 68 km
– The nearest railway station is the Dimapur railway station and the distance is close to 75 km
If you want to see a flawless work of nature then you must visit this place which is known as one of the most appealing valleys in all of Nagaland. This place is situated on the border of Nagaland and Manipur. Dzukou Valley is an excellent visual treat of thriving forests, green hills, and streams.
Apart from the trekking routes for hiking lovers, there are some other places at Kohima to visit such as Kohima war cemetery, Nagaland state museum, Naga heritage village, Ketsiezou watch tower, and much more.
Dawki is a small town located in West Jaintia Hills District, Meghalaya. Crystal clear Umngot River which is Meghalaya’s unfathomed paradise flows through Dawki. The greenery of hills and the untarnished natural beauty of Dawki make it even more attractive for rest of the world.
– The nearest airport is the Shillong airport and the distance from the airport to Dawki is approximately 122 km
– Travelers who are taking the train route will have to arrive at Guwahati railway station and then travel a distance of close to 170 km to reach Dawki
If you love the flora and fauna of nature then this is the perfect holiday destination for you to visit and relax.
Lakshadweep is an extensive group of island in the Laccadive Sea located at 200 km to 440 km off the southwestern coast of India. The place is centered on various water sports such as scuba diving, snorkeling, parasailing, kayaking, sailing, water skiing, fishing and much more. You can also go out for a short excursion to nearby islands like Thinnakara, Parali, and Bangaram or you can also go out for fishing in Minicoy Island.
The time taken from Cochin International Airport to Agatti Island is close to 1 hour & 20 minutes. Lakshadweep is the only place in India where you will get to see the Coral Reef formation. Apart from this, you can also experience the peaceful surroundings of beaches in Lakshadweep.
Want to experience the Kashmir of South India? Sounds Awkward? Well, Munnar is known as the ‘Kashmir of South India” and is also a popular honeymoon destination due to its fascinating beauty of nature. Munnar is a hill station in the Western Ghats Mountain range in South India’s Kerala state. It is located at around 1,600 meters (5,200 ft) from the sea level.
– The nearest railway station is Ernakulam which is approximately 127 km away from Munnar
– The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport which is approximately 110 km away from Munnar
There are innumerous tourist spots in Munnar but from them, the five best spots are Eravikulam National Park, Mattupetty Dam, Anamudi, Attukal Waterfalls and Pothamedu View Point.
Again for the trekking lovers, Pothamedu would be a great destination. It is an approximately 5 km trek from Munnar, surrounded by ample beauty in the form of lush greenery, plantations of tea, coffee, and cardamom plant. This spot is perfect for the thrill seekers and those who are ready to explore the nature from its root.
Coorg is a rural district in the southwest Indian state of Karnataka which is also known as the Kodagu District. Kodagu is famous for its outdoor activities such as trekking, angling and white-water rafting and much more. If you want to get lost in nature and its beauty then Coorg will be a perfect destination. Coorg never fails to amaze because of its beauty and serenity of hills. Thus making Coorg the best option for you to go and relax from the hustle and bustle of city life.
– Mangaluru International Airport is the nearest airport which is approximately 156 km (3 hours & 40 minutes) away from Kodagu / Coorg
– The nearest railway station is Mysore junction which is approximately 106 km away from Coorg
There are some spectacular places in Coorg like Abbey falls, Madikeri Fort, Tadianmol (highest peak in Coorg), Pushpagiri wildlife sanctuary, Gaddige Raja’s tomb and much more. If you are aware of white-water rafting then you can experience this thrilling and adventurous activity in Coorg itself.
Lonavala is a hill station in western India near Mumbai which is surrounded by lush green valleys. If you want to get over from the heat and humidity of the city for few days then Lonavala is the best destination for you. The distance from Mumbai to Lonavala is approximately 83 km which will take at most 2 hours to reach if you are planning to have a road trip with friends or family or even if you want to travel alone.
There are lots of exciting places to visit in Lonavala, starting from Pavana Lake, Lohagad Fort, Bhaja caves, Tiger’s Leap, Nagphani, Amrutanjan point and much more. One another destination near Lonavala is Rajmachi Fort which is considered to be one of the best tourist spots in India. You will find some of the most breathtakingly beautiful and wide sceneries of the region while following your footsteps.
Written by: Akankhita Roy